Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lonely in a Crowd


The loneliness of widowhood is beginning to slowly seep into the hollows of my heart.  It is a disheartening and distressing realization.

I’ve always been a loner.  I, weirdly enough, enjoy my own company. 
But I know it isn’t healthy or wise to cloister myself in my home.
However, that is where I feel the least alone.

You see, I’m lonely in a crowd.  
I live in a world built for couples,
But I’m the unaccompanied single
The one who sticks out like a sore thumb.
It’s a tentative place to be.
It’s a place I’ve begun to avoid.

I had several invitations over the Labor Day weekend
A party.  A football get-together.  A cookout.
Each I declined, or, in very bad taste, just didn’t show up.
I just couldn’t muster the strength to plaster on my smile
And be with a crowd of happy people.

My friends and family were so sweet to include me,
And I am a total twit for staying home
and feeling  sorry for myself
and sleeping away my long weekend.

How do I push through this?
How do I learn to be okay as a single in a crowd?
How do I find group activities that don’t make me feel
Like a square peg in a round hole?
I’m not finding those answers easily.

But this I know…

I HATE BEING A WIDOW.
I HATE BEING A WIDOW.
I HATE BEING A WIDOW.

But that is what I am.

27
Cyna

No comments: